Sunday, May 29, 2011

Honeymoon

*I'm giving up on counting how many days I'm on because I want this blog to be more than just another self-appointed assignment.  I want it to be enjoyable to myself and to however reads it and I think by simply writing about different days, not the number of that day, will help me stay focused on the true reason for this blog. 
I've joked that I would have to get married just to have a day off.  Well, it's true!  Dustin and I went to Kentucky for our honeymoon and it was the most relaxing time I've had in a few years I think.  Even the drive down was a chance to enjoy the changing scenery as the farther south we went; the rolling hills and green fields were everywhere.  When we got to our destination, the first thing I noticed was there were two horses standing out in a pasture next to a huge, colonial style home that belonged to our innkeeper.  Dustin told me the horses were one of the things that stood out to him when he was choosing lodging options.  So, right off the bat, he blew me away with keeping my love for horses in mind when planning the honeymoon. 
Our first visit while we were down there was the Mammoth Caves.  We've been to a few of Ohio's caves but nothing compares with the immense size of the caves down in Kentucky!  We took a two-hour tour, with a group of six-graders, through part of the Caves and were continuously blown away by the sheer volume of each room.  It definitely was quite the experience. 
The next day he took me to the Corvette Factory in Bowling Green, KY.  Who knew that a car factory would be so interesting?  We learned so much about what makes a Corvette a Corvette and all the special details that go into making it the modern classic sportscar that it is today.  And for being a factory, the employees really seemed to enjoy their job which made the experience more enjoyable than someplace where the employees acted like they would love to be anywhere but there.  Dustin did another amazing job on planning that visit.  We also had the opportunity to meet Art, a guy who owns a car shop that buys and sells classic cars from the 50's to today's models.  He allowed us a free self-guided tour of his shop as well as giving us a souvenir magnet free of charge!  We got to chat with him about our honeymoon and a little bit about our faith and it did seem like he had an idea of the Christian faith so that was very encouraging.
Dustin is a huge fan of trains and model railroading so our next stop was the L&N Railpark Museum, home to one of the original trains that used to run on the line from Louisville to Nashville primarily.  Dustin could tell you much more about it than I, but it was very interesting and it is part of America's history and was a great influence in the growth in some of the southern states.  Our guide took us through the train cars, explaining their importance and some history behind each car.  One car, the mail car, had to go through extensive renovation before it was even rail-worthy.  The engine itself had just been redone in 2009 and looked like it did in its prime.  The museum itself gave more background on the line's history and how certain events tied into the United States' history.  I have a better understanding of why Dustin enjoys trains so much, I think.
Our last main event was an upscale dinner out.  The location was called 440 Main, a Bayou-style venue with a laid-back atmosphere.  Dustin has some good taste!  They even gave us a complimentary champagne toast because we were on our honeymoon. 
I'm so thankful for my husband and his amazing planning abilities to book our honeymoon.  It was certainly a time to remember, of hanging out with my best friend doing everything together, and kicking off married life on a good note.  God, thank you so much for Dustin and for a great honeymoon.  I will cherish those memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment