Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Different Languages

Day 90
It's interesting to think that the Tower of Babel incident was sort of like a curse yet God used it for good.  If it weren't for the issue of people's selfishness, God wouldn't have had to mix up the languages.  I was shopping at Kroger's recently for basic groceries and a Spanish-speaking gentleman came up to me asking about a package of meat.  I had taken three years of French in high school and the only thing I've used it for is to order food from an authentic French cafe.  As I tried to understand what he was asking me, I felt awkward and sad that I wasn't able to understand him or help him with what he needed.  He eventually mumbled, "I no speak good English" which was very true.  But hey, I no speak good Spanish...or any Spanish for that matter.  I told him it was okay and that I was sorry I couldn't have helped him better.  But as I left, I had the sudden urge to teach myself Spanish just so I could better communicate to those living around me, especially in the town where I'm living as I finish college.  Had I known enough Spanish to help him, he would have probably felt thankful that someone knew Spanish and I wouldn't have felt so bad about not being able to help him. 
I still think I'm going to start teaching myself basic Spanish.  It wouldn't hurt, just like knowing the basics of French hasn't hurt yet.  I want to be a better communicator and a better witness to those around me, and I know language doesn't have to be a barrier, but wouldn't it help if I took the time to learn a little bit of their language?  God, thank you for that gentleman at Kroger and thank you for that humbling moment when I couldn't understand him even enough to help him.  Please use me in whatever fashion You deem necessary for Your glory and the spreading of Your Word, even if it takes a little bit of effort to learn some Spanish.

No comments:

Post a Comment