Saturday, April 9, 2011

Legacy

Day 87
My brother played a major role in his high school production of "Into the Woods" as Jack.  He did an awesome job as did the rest of the cast.  I was thoroughly pleased and entertained by the choice of cast members and the cohesion of everyone involved.  At the end of the production, the retiring music director of the high school was recognized for her many years of dedication to the Elgin community and to the music department and its students.  Every year she manages choirs, the famous show choir, Spring musicals, competitions, etc.  As a music teacher in training, I don't know how she handles it year after year but, of course, she has had years of experience and trial and error.  Whoever fills her spot next year will have a huge pair of shoes to fill and a lot of people to impress and keep happy with whatever they decide to bring to the music program.  My only hope is that they will do as close a good job as she did as they can.
She has inspired me in so many ways as a music teacher.  I commend her responsibilities and her commitment to the program and the students.  She really sacrificed a lot to keep music thriving at the school.  I can only hope to leave a similar legacy when it comes time for me to retire.  She will be sorely missed and very much respected; something every music teacher should aspire to be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment