Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Young Musicians

Day 69
I'm reminded of how I must have been when I started out on trumpet whenever I watch my students learn more about their instruments and general music.  Yesterday, my trumpet students worked on long tone studies except we spiced it up and made it into a long note competition.  They loved it!  They even wanted to compete with me to see how well they could do against a college student.  Truthfully, they did really well!  And, whether they knew it or not, they were becoming better players by developing their air capacity and learning how to evenly distribute that air while they played.  I'm so proud of my band kids.
Today marked the first round of classes to experience Music Free Day since it's the last week before Spring break and the end of the nine week grading period.  Third grade students did music style bingo and enjoyed every minute of it.  They were learning and reviewing different styles at the same time while making connections to styles they may have heard just listening to music in the car or from television.  They definitely broadened their musical understanding today and it was a great experience to watch these young musicians grow and enjoy it at the same time.  God, thank you so much for this precious opportunity to help these musicians grow and learn about music.  They are such blessings in my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment