Monday, February 21, 2011

Genuine Hearts

Day 38
After visiting my fiance and attending a young adult church service with him, I thought about what the speaker said and how he presented the message.  At first, I was finding it hard to concentrate on the lyrics of the worship songs that only had two or three chords.  It may have been that goofy and effective musical training I've received at college, but I lost focus and interest around the time we were repeating the chorus for the...seventh time?  But the message brought me back to the service.  The speaker stood up, led us in prayer, and got completely honest with us as the audience.  He told of how his life had become consumed with working for the church, even on his days off and how he really wasn't feeling like he was where he needed to be in life.  The passage we read was of John the Baptist speaking to the crowd before baptizing Jesus.  He really nailed the people, calling them "a brood of vipers", people who turned from and rebelled against those who had taught them what they have learned.  He shook them up so bad that even the non-religious listeners were asking what they needed to do to get right with how they were living. 
The speaker went on to confess that he sometimes built himself up to this awesome person that God must be proud of who he was, enough to give him special duties or circumstance in life.  But here he was, using even his days off to serve those in the church and the surrounding area.  He said it is usually after He humbles us, do we realize that we need to follow Him more closely and listen to what He is telling us to do. 
It was refreshing and humbling to hear a speaker be so open and honest with his audience.  Leaders of faith, and "normal" people too, can put themselves up on such a pedestal that surely God must have a special mission for them.  Me, I have put myself merely in front, in my own spotlight, without much regard or trust for God.  It's a learning experience; I definitely need to work on strengthening my relationship with Him.  I think that's what He's been showing me recently.  Thank you, Lord, for those genuine souls who are willing to risk their dignity to help others realize their own shortcomings so that we can come to You for help. 

No comments:

Post a Comment