Thursday, February 24, 2011

Learning How to be a Teacher

Day 43
Student teaching has had its ups and downs already.  I struggle sometimes with controlling and keeping the attention of a class full of twenty plus kindergarten students with multiple inclusion students.  It can be quite a zoo in the music classroom sometimes.  Today, my teacher and I had a great chat about different methods to try on the crazier classes.  Keeping the schedule flowing and full of variety while maintaining structure seems to be the key so far. 
I've been up trying to come up with different ideas for my Friday classes since they seem to be the most interesting to teach.  They are all wonderful students, I just have to learn how to cater to them as a class as well as individuals while maintaining my role as the teacher.  I enjoy the challenges and my teacher is patient with me as I learn from my mistakes.  I've come up with some new things to help keep the classes organized and structured and I'm excited to try them out tomorrow.  Friday=off-the-wall students so I think structure will definitely help lessen the chaos. 
Thank you, God, for blessing me with an uber amount of patience and the strength to keep going especially when the lessons don't go quite as planned.  Thank you for calling me to be a teacher and for helping me grow and learn along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment