Wednesday, February 9, 2011

History

Day 29
We take history for granted, don't we?  I know I do.  I'm helping to present a lesson on "Follow the Drinking Gourd" for Black History Month at the school where I student teach.  I really had to refresh my memory on the events leading up to the Civil War.  I get to present the story of the African American slave family and their journey to freedom to several classes of kindergarten kids and first graders.  The song that the story is based off of is unique and sort of eerie when sung just right. 
When the sun comes back
And the first quail call,
Follow the drinking gourd.
For the old man is a-waiting for to carry you to freedom.
Follow the drinking gourd.

Whenever we get to the song in the story, the kids get really quiet as they listen to the teacher sing it in a soft, meaningful tone.  That's usually the point when I forget I'm student teaching and I get carried away in the story just like the students.  History is the foundation for the present, and it can be a strong foundation if we learn from it.  It's history that reminds us of what makes up our heritage and our country. 

No comments:

Post a Comment