Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Lightbulb

Day 35
No, not the lighting fixture, but the "Aha" moment, the instant where something just clicks.  I was blessed with the opportunity to teach three classes consecutively, two first grades and a second grade.  I had forgotten to print off my lesson plans but I had taught the same lessons yesterday so I had a good handle of what I wanted to do.  What worried me was my weak classroom management.  So I did what my gut and last semester's lessons told me to do.  I engaged with each class as soon as they entered the music classroom; I led them to their seats, telling them where to sit, instead of letting them run into the classroom and choosing their own seats.  I think that threw them off because they were unusually quiet for the role call that came next.  I kept a smile on my face, reminded them of the music rules, asked for their respect because I told them I was giving respect to them, and remembered to have fun along with them.  The pace was steady and smooth between transitions and songs and each class remained focused for the most part. (There's no escaping the occasional talker).  They enjoyed the activities and musical games and were disappointed when we had to end class.  I'll take that as a good day any day.
It just clicked for me today.  Yesterday was a little rough but something made sense today in how I needed to do things in order to keep their attention and let them know I can mean business while still having fun with them.  I love teaching and I'm so thankful  for those "lightbulb" moments that God grants me with every now and then. 

No comments:

Post a Comment