Monday, February 7, 2011

Routine

Day 26
Work is good because it is a set rhythm to life, a routine to what we do.  I went home to work this weekend and I loved the way everything had its place.  I knew the routine of how to make the food, put it in the oven, and time it just right with everything else going on that the food item would be pulled out of the oven just in time to serve nice and hot to the customers.  Even the customers are part of the routine.  We always have our "regulars" who come in at almost a daily basis and get "the usual".  I love that, too.  It's expected, anticipated, and leaves less room for error if they don't order something obscure off of the menu other than "the usual".  Being home in general gives a sense of familiarity, of routine.  I know what needs to be done, when to do it, and what I can do when I don't have anything to do.  Plus, I have my own space at home that I can organize and clean to my liking.  I like to organize.  It could turn into a hobby if I let it.
On the flip-side, a break in the routine is always welcome, too, if it's a positive break.  After work, before I headed back to school, I stopped by my fiance's apartment and had dinner while watching the Super Bowl game for a few hours.  I hadn't planned on visiting until today so it was a nice, last minute idea.  Being at school means less time to visit with him so I do enjoy getting as much time as I can with him while I'm home; random visits are usually in the mix. 
Thanks, God, for giving me a routine that I can anticipate and follow.  And thank you for the breaks in that routine that allow for time to breathe, spend time with someone special, and get myself ready for the week to come. 

No comments:

Post a Comment