Monday, February 21, 2011

Guaranteed Work

Day 37
I'm at home and I've already worked five and a half hours at the family pizza shop.  I've worked there for over seven years and I've seen a lot of changes with personnel, ways of doing things, different methods of cooking the food, and different customers to get acquainted with.  But there are always a few things that never change: familiar faces of the "regular" customers, the busy Friday night pizza rush, the "secret" family recipe for our pizza dough, the signature B&E sub, and the old oven and dough roller which have both seen their share of pizzas. 
I know it's hard to find jobs in this economy but I am thankful that I've retained my position making pizzas.  I used to hate going to work during high school but now I almost look forward to spending a weekend home, racking in some hours and salary.  I still cook by the older methods that were taught to me by former employees long gone and the owners themselves.  The new employees still try to change things up or "improve" on our menu items but I find the old way is still best.  That's why the same customers who have ordered food from us ten years ago still show up in the dining room. 
I'm thankful for the pizza shop and the work that is guaranteed if I ever need some more green in my pocket for college expenses.  I don't think I realize it now, but I might miss that shop once life starts a new chapter next summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment